Owen Sound Election 2018

hub-logo-white

magnifying-glass-1020142 640

- by Anne Finlay-Stewart, Editor

Voting in this year's municipal election will be on-line or by telephone. It is more important than ever to ensure that you are on the voters' list so you can receive your secret de-coder ring by mail in October.

Do not assume that you are on the list. Look it up right here. It might be simple. Or it might go like what I witnessed in the Bean Cellar on Wednesday.

You're sitting with your roommate and you decide to check to see that you're on the voters' list so you use the free wi-fi and go to VoterLookup.ca.

You type in your name, birthdate and address, selecting your municipality and your street from the drop down menu.

The message that comes up is -
      "We could not uniquely identify a property at this address."

Your roommate tries the same thing. Same message:

There's a toll-free number to call, so you do. You are number 22 in the queue. You wait. 15 minutes or so later, you are giving your information to a live human. You are asked "Would you like to add the names of other people, including children, who live in the home?" Your brow wrinkles. "Do I have to? No? Then, no thank you."

You end the call after the human confirms that you are now on the voters' list.
Your roommate tries VoterLookup.ca again.

She tries her parents' address. That works. But it also says "There are a total of 6 potential electors at this address". Odd - she says "Maybe the dog is voting."

You try to look yourself up on VoterLookup ten minutes later.

You try again the next day.

Keep trying – keep calling. This is too important to just give up your right to vote.

This system is run by the same provincial body that brings you your tax assessment -MPAC - not our City staff.
In September the Owen Sound Clerk's office will be able to add you manually to the list. In the first(ish) week of October, a card will arrive in the mail with the personal code number you will need to vote. (We were kidding about the secret decoder ring, but I think I might vote for someone who promised them.)
Stay tuned for the further adventures of #TheOwenSoundBalloteer.

osmeeting-top2

council-bottom

Hub-Bottom-Tagline

CopyRight ©2015, ©2016, ©2017 of Hub Content
is held by content creators