Owen Sound Election 2018

hub-logo-white

Steve Hencze
Please share any relevant employment or volunteer experience you have in the arts and culture sector.

Prior to moving to Owen Sound I had an art gallery in Dundas. Moving here I’ve sat as a committee member GBFS for 3 years, sat on the Art and Cultural board 2 years, Northern Lights 6 years, was Blinky for 5 years. I have helped with financial support for Rocking the Food Bank; have put on concerts within Owen Sound. I have many friends who are famous musicians and attend many social events with them thus expanding my networking abilities
What concrete actions would you recommend/support for improving the atmosphere and aesthetic of the downtown?

We need a niche core with a new city board created, but only have musicians, artists, craftspeople put their talent at work and start reinjecting funky culture downtown. My god, the summerfolk office should be on the main street. All current council and past have done is try to reinvent the wheel. Niche core like Elora and I can’t believe this crazy parking issue has been debated 4 decades. How embarrassing. MAKE IT FREE NOW. And get rid of that crazy vacant rent rebate. And put way more pressure of these absent landlords to clean up their buildings
What specific actions do you recommend for preventing another situation such as that with the Tom Thomson Gallery?

To be honest I’m not up to date on the full disclosure of what truly happened all I keep hearing is it’s complex situation. I don’t want to say when I have not researched it enough. I will say that the art gallery should include more diversity of local art. When I go in there to me it looks dated. We can do better
Where do you feel Owen Sound’s greatest opportunities lie for promoting our arts, community and cultural assets?

More events on a large scale like summerfolk, Salmon Spectacular. Every window store front between 2nd and 3rd should be wrapped showing all our amazing talent here. Owen Sound where you want to go to be creative!! Again niche we are not tourism on a level that can support more businesses in Owen Sound. Collingwood has a 100 million dollar resort. We are nowhere near that. Let’s stop saying we are and focus on what we are known for. I moved here because of summerfolk
What is a City councillor or school board trustee’s role in protecting, promoting and growing healthy communities?

I would be reaching out to other areas that are reinventing themselves, keeping a transparent dialog with every citizen of our community. I deal with lots of large investments companies with deep pockets. On council I want to invite them up, share ideas, get their interest. I am a fantastic promoter. I love Owen Sound. I love the people. I want us to stop underselling ourselves. My core beliefs are all of us need to be heard, respected, and not judged. I want to debunk rumors within city hall. I want to stop the snails pace of new growth. I think my success in an area that I have never come to shows my determination. I want to support housing diversity, getting land rezoned to allow all types of housing in one area. Income and class segregation is wrong. By not allowing people in you are saying out of site out of mind. I want more support and better organized drug clinics and homeless shelters. I think if we work with those people in crisis, a better outcome will happen. And I want bus service deemed essential. What an insult to be who rely on public transportation. People are saying long waits, long rides and limited routes.

rielheader

rielfooter

osmeeting-top2

council-bottom

Hub-Bottom-Tagline

CopyRight ©2015, ©2016, ©2017 of Hub Content
is held by content creators