What's on your mind?

The Hub would love to hear from you. Email your letters, articles, photos, drawings, cartoons, YouTube or Vimeo links to [email protected].



I'm not sure where all the climate change deniers who work for Sun Media live. They don't seem to live in the world I do, or the world that lies outside my door. While Owen Sound residents complain about the cost of running the city, I don't think they realize the increasing cost to the city that is clearly attributed to climate change, nor to the even higher cost that is anticipated in the near future. City sewers, roads and roofs are designed to withstand "normal" weather conditions and not for what are now becoming annual events that were once expected every 100 years. If our city is to plan for the "new" future weather anticipated by climate change, we'd better be ready to spend big dollars to do this.


One has to admit that Harper is a pretty smart cookie! He has his 30 per cent base which he faithfully serves by doing things that make the other 70 per cent of us squeal. If we add to that the votes he will pick up through his bribes of up to $2,000 via his "family tax cut," a 2015 victory becomes more of a reality rather than just a bad dream.

Bill Moses,

dredge-regDear Editor;

A highly important topic we have read and heard a lot about is the dredging of the Owen Sound harbour. According to Mayor Deb Haswell, the mayor at the time, "The work is urgently needed and it is high time it is done, considering it has been an ongoing issue for some 15 years... we've got to get going on this. It's just ridiculous. It's sort of gone beyond the ridiculous now in terms of length of time to do this."

To quote Bill Henry of the Sun Times: "Just one shipping company still sends working commercial cargo vessels to the Great Lakes Elevator here, and then only smaller vessels with partial loads. Cement and salt ships also come in light." Steve Kell from Parrish Heimbecker said: "The firm is not just unable to expand and fully utilize the elevator asset, it's losing business."


When the guns come out, reason flees. So much the more, then, do we need men and women trained to keep their heads.

So all praise to the guard at the front door of the Parliament who grabbed the gunman's rifle, yelled "Gun, gun" and was wounded for his trouble. All praise to the man who blocked the door of the NDP caucus room with his body as bullets flew outside.

And all praise to Sgt at Arms Kevin Vickers who, still in ceremonial garb, went to his office and got his gun to confront ... he knew not what.


CopyRight ©2015, ©2016, ©2017 of Hub Content
is held by content creators